You don't need to be on a tropical vacation to enjoy this tasty coconut beverage. Take today, July 10th as the day to indulge in a variation of this delicious drink, it's National Pina Colada Day!
Here are our top 3 choices for DIY Pina Coladas, there's even a healthy smoothie version.
Each recipe makes 2 delicious drinks. Enjoy!
1. The Classic (from Delish.com)
4 oz. spiced rum
4 oz. coconut milk
1/3 c. fresh pinapple chunks
splash pineapple juice
1 c. ice
2 maraschino cherries
Add rum, coconut milk, pineapple chunks and juice to a blender with ice. Blend until smooth.
Pour into 2 glasses.
Garnish each glass with a pineapple chunk and a maraschino cherry.
2. Tropical (from seriouseats.com)
5 ounces (140g) very ripe peeled and cored pineapple or drained canned pineapple chunks (see note)
1 3/4 ounces (50ml) unsweetened coconut cream, shaken or stirred well to incorporate fat
1 ounce (30ml) simple syrup (see note)
3/4 to 1 ounce (20-30ml) fresh juice from 1 lime
2 1/2 ounces (75ml) white or gold rum, kept in freezer until freezer-cold
4 ounces (115g) ice cubes
Pineapple slice and/or maraschino cherry, for garnish
1. In an airtight plastic container, combine pineapple, coconut cream, simple syrup, and 3/4 ounce lime juice, and transfer to freezer until frozen, at least one hour (the sugar in the mixture may prevent it from freezing solid; this is okay).
2. In a blender, combine frozen pineapple mixture with ice-cold rum and ice and blend until thick and slushy. Taste, then blend in the remaining 1/4 ounce lime juice, if desired. Pour into a large glass, garnish with pineapple and/or a cherry, and serve, with or without an paper umbrella and straw.
3. If you want to make multiple drinks, you can pre-batch up to a double recipe (a blender may not hold much more than that easily) in a single container, then divide after blending; for more than two drinks, use separate containers to hold more servings.
3. Healthy Smoothie
1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup ice cubes
2 teaspoons honey, optional
Pineapple wedges, for garnish
1. In a blender, combine the pineapple chunks, coconut milk, banana, ice, and, if desired, honey. Puree until smooth.
2. Pour into 2 large glasses.
3. Garnish each serving with a pineapple wedge.
Happy National Pina Colada Day!